Viacali Guitars are built with the underlying belief that the difference between great and exceptional instruments can't be attributed to one - or even a handful of - design elements; the difference results from the lump sum of hundreds of small decisions that the luthier makes as he works the wood with his hands. Therefore, the design process is very deliberate and varies from one instrument to the next. Sangho is an obsessive researcher and isn't afraid to experiment with innovation (while always honoring the traditions of lutherie).
Our core principles include:
- Tonewoods are used everywhere, including "inside the box" where they can't be seen
- Always handcrafted from billets of wood
- Since our instruments are made by hand, they will be more lightly constructed (and therefore more responsive) than if factory-built
- Although lightly built, Viacali instruments are intended to be heirlooms that endure and flourish for generations. Many of our structural design decisions are made to avoid weak spots observed while repairing vintage instruments
- Instruments are musical artwork, so the cosmetics matter. Our target aesthetic is "understated elegance"
- Innovation honoring tradition. As long as it doesn't adversely affect the tone and cosmetics, we will stay on the leading edge of lutherie innovation. Soundports, arm and rib bevels, compensated nuts, double sidewalls... Anything is fair game